Monday, March 3, 2014

My Favorite French Skincare Products

Like a lot of stereotypes about the French (or any culture) there is a hint of truth to the mythical French beauty.   French woman do not wear a lot of make up.  Foundation is minimal to nonexistent though a powder compact is often kept handy.  Women buy the correct face cream at the Pharmacy, not a department store or grocery.  The focus is on science and ingredients, not marketing so you don't see these brands much outside Europe.  

My skin looks younger now than 10 years ago and that's partially because I have access to some excellent skincare products at reasonable prices.  The other reason is because 10 years ago I was working in Beijing and the pollution effected my skin horribly but that's another story.  My skin is sensitive and combination to dry with occasional hormonal break out in one area.

If you hover over the product name, you can jump to the goods on amazon which I have found to be consistently cheaper in the states than I pay at the local pharmacy.  Volume discount buying, I guess?


Filorga HYDRA-FILLER 50ml $65.49
I have a good friend who is 35yrs old and I noticed recently that her skin looked luminous.  She wasn't wearing make up, she had no visible wrinkles and she just looked fresh.  She is blessed with naturally good skin but something was different and she told me about Filorga.  She got the advice from a Pharmacist in Paris who said many dermatologists recommend this cream for patients after plastic surgery because it works. 

I've been using it for about a month and it's really living up to the hype. It's so effective, I don't really need a separate eye cream and it goes on very light but is moisture rich.  It feels good on the skin, has a very light fragrance and keeps me feeling hydrated all day.  It also proved that many of my issues with fine lines, especially around my eyes was not old age but lack of moisture.  My skin looks softer, more supple and generally feels more comfortable too. 

La Roche Posay Nutritic Intense Riche 50ml $37.99
Less expensive than Filorga and the cream recommend to me by a French dermatologist  years ago when I had some eczema issues.  I used it religiously for five years and was very happy with it.  Lightweight, no perfume and very hydrating.  It's nearly half the price of the HYDRA-Filler  so if you're younger than mid thirties or can't justify the expense, this is a good mid range option.  


Nuxe Reve de Miel Face and Body Ultra-Rich Cleansing Gel for Unisex, 13.5 Ounce $22.00
If you've never used NUXE, you're in for a treat.  The line of products I like best is Reve de Miel (Dream of Honey) because they are gentle and have the most delicious smell of honey.  A little bit of gel foams up a lot when rubbed between palms so this big bottle will last months if it's just for your face.  It gently removes dirt and oil so you feel clean without over stripping the moisture and puts the goodness of honey into your daily skincare routine.  The smell is so nice, it's a daily aromatherapy session.


Effaclar A.I. Targeted Breakout Corrector 15 ml.  $22.00
About once a month, my chin erupts with a few small spots.  I'd rub at them because they were irritating and spread the bacteria around and end up with more breakout.  Then I would use something strong to dry them making it more irritated.  Cycle continues.  Now when I see the first signs of breakout, I rub a little bit onto the points before bed and by morning it's already better and after two days they are usually gone.  Before they even get properly started.  Good stuff and a tube will last for months.

That's pretty much every product I'm using right now with one exception...Philosophy The Microdelivery Peel,  which is not French.  I bought this stuff from an in-flight magazine and I can say it's very effective.  I haven't used many chemical peels so I can't compare to other brands but it always leaves my skin baby smooth and more even in tone and texture.  Except the one time I used in 3x's in one week and it really hurt.  Like chemicals peeling my face.

I don't indulge in luxury brands often but when it comes to skincare, I follow the lead of the experts, French women.

No comments:

Post a Comment